Beef and Bean Burrito Burger
All the flavors of a burrito in one delicious burger!
Ingredients (Six burgers)
1 cup cold leftover rice
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 can (15-ounce) refried beans
3 tsps. chili powder
1-1/2 tsp. cumin
1-1/2 tsp. coriander
1 Tbsp. grill seasoning (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 ripe avacados
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, grated
1 lime zested and juiced
2-3 tsps. Cholula hot sauce (or to taste)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 ripe tomato, sliced
Crusty rolls, split or Texas Garlic Toast
- Combine rice, meat and beans with spices and grill seasoning. Add egg and mix well. Form 5 big patties from the meat mixture. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 5-7 minutes on each side. Top with lots of cheddar cheese, cover patties until cheese melts.
- While burgers cook, combine avocado with garlic, lime zest and juice, hot sauce and red onion. Mash to roughly combine.
- Place burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and sour cream.
Alfredo-Style Baked Shells with Peas
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Shell pasta in a cream Alfredo Sauce with Peas, Parmesan and Pancetta.
Ingredients (10 servings)
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup diced pancetta
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
1 recipe Basic White Sauce
1 pkg. medium pasta shells
Basic White Sauce
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons flour
3-1/2 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic
Salt and pepper
- In skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; fry bread crumbs, stirring until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain; set aside.
- In same large pot, cook pancetta over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas and white sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Toss together pasta, pancetta mixture and remaining Parmesan cheese. Spread in a large baking dish. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until pasta is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Pot Pie
Everything you love in a traditional pot pie, plus the flavors of autumn with sweet potatoes and apples.
Ingredients (8 servings)
For the Crust:
1 pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
For the Filling:
3-1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 cups peeled, diced sweet potato
1-1/2 cups peeled, diced russet potato
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup heavy cream (or Half & Half)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups diced rotisserie chicken
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Cut pastry sheet into 1-inch wide strips. On a baking sheet, weave strips into a lattice pattern to fit the size of your baking dish. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- For the filling, heat 2-1/2 cups broth, sweet potatoes and russet potatoes, onion, celery, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook until vegetables are slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 3/4 cup broth, cream, and flour. Pour slurry into vegetable mixture; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add chicken, apple and peas and season with salt and pepper. Pour into prepared baking dish and dot with 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter.
- Bake filling and crust separately until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Place crust on top of pie before serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Warm spices and unexpected garnishes makes this chili unique.
Ingredients (6 servings)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 onions, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 cups vegetable broth
1 19-oz can mild enchilada sauce
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
1-1/2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, 1 tsp. salt, pepper and allspice and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth, enchilada sauce, vinegar and sugar.
- Add beef and stir to break up meat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chili is deep brown and slightly thickened, 20-30 minutes.
Egg Foo Yung
Ingredients (About 15 to 20 pancakes)
2/3 cup small curd cottage cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped bean sprouts
3/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp. minced scallions
2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
Salt and Black Pepper
Canola oil for frying
- Mash cottage cheese in a bowl. Stir in eggs, bean sprouts, celery, Parmesan, scallions and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle or a non-stick skillet over medium-low; brush with oil. Scoop 2 Tbsp. batter onto griddle and cook until light brown, 2-3 minutes per side; repeat with remaining batter. Garnish pancakes with scallions; serve with soy sauce.